So today is Friday and it happens to be St. Patrick's day. I was one of the very few people to wear green to the office, which means that I could be either (a) a total enthusiast of the festivity, or (b) a total dork. Hmmm... which one would it be? I guess I'll find out when I walk out to see if there are more enthusiasts like me out there.
I am going out with some girls from work tonight. I must confess that I am REALLY looking forward to this outing. I have not gone out dancing in a while, and I love to dance. I just do. I don't know if I dance well or not (even though some friends would say I do, but they are friends and they know that I would kill them if they said otherwise), but I still do it. Sometimes I wonder if I look like Elaine from that episode in Seinfeld. You know which one I'm talking about. Anyhow, we are going out to dance, drink and be very merry tonight. I wish I could just go right now.
I remember the first time I celebrated St. Patty's day. It was 2001, I had just moved to NJ (yes, I lived there for ONE WHOLE, LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG YEAR) and the then girlfriend (now wife) of one of J's friends invited me to join her in some bar-hopping fun. I actually enjoyed it, and J came to meet us later. It was awkward to tell every guy that approached me that I was married, just to have each guy stop talking to me immediately after and just walk away as if I had just vanished into thin air. Hey, I know that there is no time to waste (and I am a firm believer of that statement), but a little courtesy would have been nice... And no, I was not flirting with them either. Oh, well... Today, the girl I went out partying with doesn't even know where I live, not because there was any animosity, but because I left the bubble. So much time spent building relationships for nothing. I guess I AM able to vanish into thin air, after all. Not that I care that much.
However, I guess I am lucky to still have some friends in Mexico. Every time I go, I try to touch base with them and sometimes it feels like I never left. Like I just saw them the week before. I like that. Now I am working on expanding my circle in NY. I enjoy doing some things on my own, but sometimes you just need someone else with you, even if it is for that person to serve as witness that you can laugh at yourself. I have a few people I enjoy spending time with, so I am lucky.
Indeed, a lucky St. Patty's day... (yeah, let's see if I still feel lucky tomorrow morning, with a beer-induced hang-over!!).